Auburn_tn.jpg

Auburn, CA

A very brief historical look


SITE MAP
Bullet-0 Home
Bullet-1 Auburn CA
Bullet-1 Foresthill Bridge
Bullet-1 Accommodations
Bullet-1 Fred's Pages
Bullet-1 Events
Bullet-1 Sweep Riders

The Town and Area

We live on 5 acres just outside of Auburn, CA, and we've been here since 1976. Auburn is located on Interstate 80, at an elevation of 1,500' in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. It is about 35 miles NE of Sacramento, exactly 100 miles west of Reno, NV, and is the county seat of Placer County. The population of the city in mid-2002 was just over 11,000, however the population of the surrounding unincorporated area that has an Auburn postal address is probably triple that.

The Placer County Courthouse (right), which dates from the 1870's, has been recently restored. It again houses the county courts, with a cool museum on the first floor.

Courthouse.jpg
The California Gold Rush
Chana.jpg - 12314 Bytes

Auburn was founded at the beginning of the California Gold Rush in 1849, when Claude Chana (statue at left) discovered gold in the streambed of what is now Auburn Ravine Creek. Indeed, the first California gold discovery site by James Marshall at John Sutter's sawmill in Coloma is only about 20 minutes south on State Route 49. For some time, Auburn was the eastern terminus of the Central Pacific Railroad which would eventually link up with the Union Pacific at Promontary Point in Utah and become the first transcontinental rail link.

The North and Middle Forks of the American River join just below Auburn, and continue on down into Folsom Lake. Their confluence is the site of the 3rd highest bridge in the US, a span some 700' above the river. The Foresthill Bridge was built to span the lake that would be formed by the now-abandoned Auburn Dam, and has been the site of a number of stunts for films ... the latest being the opening scene in Vin Diesel's "XXX." If you are planning to visit in the area, this web site includes some brief information on accommodations. The Auburn web site is at http://www.auburn.ca.gov/.

"The Coolie"

The Coolie is one of a number of large concrete statues created by Dr. Kenneth Fox, a local dentist. Most of Dr. Fox's work depicts characters from the Gold Rush era (another of his large statues is of Claude Chana and is in Old Town Auburn -- see above). The Chinese came (or, in some cases, apparently were brought) to Auburn to provide labor for the building of the transcontinental railroad. This statue currenly resides at the top of Lincoln Way (part of the old Lincoln Hwy, and later part of US 40), next to the old depot.

Auburn.jpg

Top of Page | Home


Copyright ©, 2005 All Rights Reserved/Revision 3.20 12/01/2005 1200Z
Page URL: http://www.foothill.net/~andreaj/Auburn.htm
Author: k6dgw@arrl.net

Permission is granted to reproduce any and all textual material in this HTML page for non-commercial purposes only. Reproduction or use of any graphic or photographic image is prohibited without the written permission of the site author and all persons appearing in such images. Reproduction and/or distribution of any software products downloaded from these pages is subject to the terms and conditions accompanying the downloaded files. All logos are the copyrighted property of the organization(s) represented, are used here with permission, and may be reproduced and/or used only with the permission of those organization(s).