FTA Youth Outings
Once a month the FTA leads a youth trail outing. This is a great activity
that is free for members. Most activities are geared towards kids age 7 and
can walk / run / ride at least 3 miles. The outings are designed to give
kids fun experiences out on the trails and to teach trail etiquette and
safety habits. We pair up in buddies. We wear whistles to scare away
mountain lions (you can hear us for miles) and carry water. We also try to
learn about local history and plants and animals. We have been doing this
for a while now and have had many different kinds of trail experiences. We
always have treats at the end.
If you'd like to
join us, please send email or call Sherri Osborn,
Things the kids have done the past couple of years
- Picayune Valley Trip, starts Near French Meadows, fairly level
trail into the Granite Cheif Wilderness area. Very cool waterfalls, pools,
Basque tree carvings and rock formations.
- Trail at Mile 9 marker on Mosquito Ridge Rd down to
North Fork of the Middle Fork and old cable suspension bridge
- Mosquito Ridge Trail to Middle Fork
- Peachstone Trail
- Trail along the Middle Fork from the bottom of Driver's Flat Rd
to Ford's Bar
- North Fork of the Middle Fork Trail.
Trail starts where the North Fork of the Middle Fork crosses Mosquito Ridge
Rd. and follows the creek.
- Codfish Falls Trail - starts at the bottom of
Ponderosa Way and goes along the North Fork of the American River on the
Weimar side and branches off up to the water falls. The walk is about
3 miles. This is a wonderful, but very narrow walking trail along the canyon
wall overlooking the river. It's not suitable for horses or bikes.
- Worked with Brownie Troop to clean up Peachstone Trail
- Trail around Todd Valley Pond
- Trail along Powerline Rd.
- Snow Play at China Wall
- Trail around Sugar Pine Lake
- Family Camp Out at Robinson Flat
- Foresthill Divide Loop Trail at 8-mile curve by Driver's Flat
- WST to Volcano Creek
- Todd's Valley Trail (Upper), 9 AM by trail on Todd Valley Rd
- No Hands Bridge
- Mountain Bike Ride (4 miles) on Chicken Hawk Road
- Walk / Run on the Western States Trail to Volcano Creek between
Foresthill and Michigan Bluff
- Tour of the Little Creek Ranch
- Walk / Run on McKeon-Ponderosa Loop Trail
- Family Walk / Run / Ride on 8-mile curve
Here are some pictures from our outings.
Kristin Osborn at Robinson Flat
Mike Kirk and Forest Osborn
Back to the FTA home page